Friday 6 May 2011

A history of mechanical calculating devices

Today I gave a talk to a group of Cambridge maths students on the history of mathematics. It was an exhilarating and exhausting experience. I've been asked to put up a video of this, unfortunately the best I can do is a rather poor camera-phone video, which may make understanding me difficult. But there's a lot in the slides so I've uploaded them too. Thanks to everyone there, especially the person to my left who keeps interrupting with corrections and clarifications that I really needed. He is of course the legendary Prof Piers Bursill-Hall whose lecture series this was.

Sadly due to battery life limitations I can only give you the 1 hour 10 min talk and not the much more interesting 40 min question and answer session afterwards where I really showed up how shallow my research was. Abraham Izrael Stern especially, I make the claim that he's doing something really important, but I've done almost no research into the guy's life and impact, that needs serious work. But this is such a vast topic that in the Q&A afterwards a phd thesis and a whole seminar of talks were identified of extra study that could be done. Which sounds great to me ... you know, after exams and stuff.

Video: http://www.sendspace.com/file/hgf52a
My slides: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6btn0q

1 comment:

  1. The utter limit of my knowledge on Stern is http://history-computer.com/MechanicalCalculators/19thCentury/Stern.html. A few minutes googling doesn't give me any more. This may need some real research.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback always welcome.